Monday, May 28, 2007

It's a New Day!

Monday, May 21st China time Nanchang, Jiangxi Provence, China Camryn is still getting used to us. Shirley had translated the foster mom's (called First Mom) sleeping and feeding schedule, but getting to know Camryn is still like figuring out where the missing puzzle pieces go. This morning John, Camryn and I spent the morning going to appointments and filling out paperwork. Oh, and giving them lots of new, crisp $100 bills. They looked them over pretty carefully, but not as much as other people because they were numbered and still in their money wrappers. We went to the CAB building (Civil Affairs Bureau) and Camryn had her picture taken for her passport, we paid money, and the director of the CAB interviewed us about our intentions. Then we went to the passport appointment, and then we ended at the Notary. This man asked us if we promised to never abandon or abuse Camryn. When Shirley translated, I thought she said "Will you abandon or abuse Camryn." I quickly said NO and the notary looked at me funny and then stamped the document. I didn't realize until later what I had! During the morning while we were gone, Mom, Sydni, and Dalton explored the hotel, got there stuff unpacked, and had breakfast. We ate leftover pizza for lunch. Since was were all still jetlagged, we all laid down for naps, including Camryn. When Camryn woke us, she was very upset and cried. I think this is round 2 of grieving. She woke in an unfamiliar place and she was scared. I tried giving her a bottle but she didn't want it. Mom and the kids were still sleeping so John and I put her in the front pack and went out to the department store next door. As soon as we went outside, she was much happier. She likes to be on the go. What a culture shock! Everyone talking in a different language, pedestrian traffic was crazy, and we didn't know how to find the stuff we were looking for in the store. We bought supplies, food, and a thermos for heating bottles. John and I were glad that we went out first before taking Mom and the kids. We got lots of looks, but everyone was friendly. John and I are both feeling a little overwhelmed with the different situation and taking care of our family. I think that we will feel better after we have been here awhile. When we got back to the hotel at 6:30 PM, the kids were still sleeping. John went to lay down with the kids and Mom came over to our room. I feed Camryn and she fell asleep on my while I was laying on the couch. I must have fallen asleep too for awhile. Mom and I were both tired, so she laid down on the couch until the others woke up and I took Camryn to our bed. I woke up at midnight and realized everyone was still asleep, including Mom. I fixed Camryn a bottle and she went back to sleep and slept through the night. The kids slept 15 hours!